The cornerstone of the university building was embedded on the 7th of June 1900. Executive design of the Gdańsk University of Technology campus, which was then called The Royal Institute of Technology in Gdańsk, was prepared by Prof. Albert Carsten, an outstanding architect. The architectural concept was designed by Hermann Eggert and Georg Thür. The Main Building was designed in the Dutch Renaissance Revival style and distinguished as a well kept monument by the Polish Minister of Culture and National Heritage.
The Gdańsk University of Technology campus is one of the ten most beautiful in Europe according to a list of European universities distinguished by wonderful architecture and attractive location prepared by the Times Higher Education portal in 2018. GUT was ranked among the universities in Bologna, Salamanca and Uppsala.
On the 22nd of September 2010, by decision of the Gdańsk University of Technology Senate, the southern courtyard (equipped with the Foucalt pendulum) was named after Johannes Hevelius, while the northern one was dedicated to Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit. The courtyards were fitted with images of these famous Gdańsk citizens.