Centre for Knowledge and Technology Transfer
Centre for Knowledge and Technology Transfer is responsible for the cooperation between Gdańsk University of Technology and its business environment. It is a university-wide unit established in order to:
- facilitate mutual contacts between businessmen and researchers;
- efficiently transfer solutions created at Gdańsk University of Technology to external stakeholders;
- maintain cooperation with surrounding institutions;
- promote entrepreneurship among the university employees and students.
The concept of research results commercialization adopted at Gdańsk University of Technology is based on the assumption that the degree of innovation and suitability of discoveries and products are determined by the market. The knowledge gained from indentifying market needs is used to encourage the pro-development and pro-quality activities developed by the university together with its economic environment.
Solutions created at the university are often managed by their own spin-off companies. The most talented students are involved in the implementation of ambitious research tasks while simultaneously gaining experience in team projects. Most companies operating in the Gdańsk Science and Technology Park, Pomeranian Science and Technology Park and the "STARTER" Gdańsk Business Incubator have been established by the graduates of Gdańsk University of Technology.
The university – business cooperation involves:
- commissioned research including laboratory services, consulting and expert assessment (approx. 300 contracts per year);
- acquiring the rights to technologies and/or study results by external enterprises (20 license agreements and sale contracts for R&D results a year);
- implementation of joint research and development projects through the establishment of R&D consortia (approx. 60 development projects per year, including 25 conducted with industry).
Gdańsk University of Technology cooperates with all major companies of Pomerania and the entire country, including Lotos PLC, IBM Poland, AIRBUS, Polpharma, Lafarge, DNV, CRIST, Orlen and PESA.